The South Dakota Nurses Association sponsors these annual awards for nurses, given during the SDNA Annual Convention in Yankton on October 1-2, 2017. Nominations for the following awards will be taken until August 1, 2017.
District Nurse of the Year Award was developed to recognize a nurse in each SDNA district who has contributed to the district and profession in a significant way. This award criteria and award winner is determined by each individual district.
- Rookie of the Year Award is for the new SDNA member who has contributed energy and commitment to SDNA.
- Distinguished Service Award acknowledges specific contributions and achievements of an individual or group and provides formal recognition of SDNA member(s) singled out by colleagues for accomplishments in a given field of endeavor. The Award may be awarded for professional achievement in nursing, outstanding contributions in the community, for dedicated service to the association, to name a few possible categories.
- Nursing Practice Award acknowledges a Registered Nurse involved in direct patient care. The recipient, through strength of character, commitment, and competence, receives peer recognition as one who contributes to advancement of nursing practice.
- Joy of Nursing Award recognizes the Registered Nurse who, through the years of practice, continues to truly love all aspects of nursing.
- Pioneer in Nursing Award was developed to recognize the nurse who has contributed to the profession or to history by being the first so that others may follow. This award recognizes a nurse who exemplifies the spirit that motivates other nurses to follow on a path less traveled.
- SDNA Hall of Fame Award recognizes an individual’s lifelong commitment to nursing and that commitment’s impact on the health and/or social history of South Dakota. Up to five nurses may be inducted each biennial year into the SDNA Hall of Fame.
- The Nurse Educator Award acknowledges a Registered Nurse who serves as a faculty member at one of the South Dakota nursing programs. The recipient is recognized by peers to be exemplary in the areas of teaching effectiveness and facilitating learning for students in nursing. This nurse also participates actively in professional nursing activities as well as, the community in which he or she lives, demonstrates leadership skills, has a strong ability to work with others, and is seen as a mentor for future nurse educators. The Nurse Educator Award is awarded jointly by SDNA and NEDDS (Nursing Education Deans and Directors). A letter of support by the dean/chair of the nominee's school is recommended.
Individuals interested in submitting a nominee for one of the above awards are asked to download and complete the nomination form. Criteria for each award is available for download as well.
The Awards Committee shall consider all nominations and inform the SDNA Board of Directors of the award recipients. Award recipients will be invited to attend the SDNA Convention for presentation of awards. If an award recipient cannot be present, the presentation will be made in absentia.